About the Profession
General Career Information
A career in dentistry can provide many exciting and rewarding opportunities. Some of the advantages of a dental career include:
- Independence of owning and operating your own business
- Challenge as a healthcare provider
- Opportunity to serve others
- Flexibility to live anywhere you want
- Options to teach and/or conduct research
- Satisfaction in knowing you play a vital role in your community
If these advantages sound attractive, a career in dentistry may be right for you.
Most dentists are self-employed and establish a private practice alone or in partnership with other dentists. Other career options include public health, academia, and the military. Some dentists complete advanced training after earning a dental degree to specialize in areas such as orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontology or others.
After completing the DMD program, the new dentist is expected to:
- Recognize and provide for the oral health needs of the people of Nevada or Utah, the region, and the nation.
- Deliver contemporary and efficient high-quality oral health care.
- Conduct his/herself in an ethical manner and appreciate the need for life-long learning.